1,000 Dreams Fund x HARMAN are proud to announce our 2018 New Face of Tech Challenge Winners!
On March 8th, 1,000 Dreams Fund celebrated International Women’s Day by joining forces with HARMAN, a wholly owned subsidiary of Samsung and leader in consumer electronics and connected technologies for the home, office, and car, to kick off our second annual New Face of Tech challenge.
Our goal this year? To find and fund the most inspiring young women pursuing BIG dreams in STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and math) today. (Notice how we included ARTS this year?) And wow, did we reach our goal! We received over 200 entries from young women across the country from future engineers to AI experts to museum curators. Thanks to everyone who took our challenge – you truly are the New Face of Tech!
After a week-long public vote and thousands of votes cast, we are THRILLED to announce our 5 Grand Prize Winners. These young women will win $2,000 towards their STEAM dream and the chance to be coached by a HARMAN executive.
Without further ado, meet our 2018 New Face of Tech challenge winners:
1. Olivia, student at Cooper Union – “I want to be a professor in mechanical engineering. I currently teach students CAD/3D printing so I can help more with that.”
2. Nicholette, student at University of Georgia – “I hope to be a digital media artist. This grant will help me pursue this goal by funding my educational expenses, such as, textbooks and supplies that I use in my studio art courses.”
3. Jennifer, student at Michigan State University – “I would like to work as a product engineer in the automotive industry. A grant will help open my opportunities for further education and also relieve me of some of the financial burden of finishing up the rest of my undergrad.”
4. Gabby, student at Drexel University – “I want to do marketing/PR in the music industry and to create digital media for artists through Adobe programs, such as Illustrator and Photoshop. This grant can help me reach my goal by helping me learn more about the music industry and graphic design.”
5. Addison, student at Ithaca College – “A grant will help me to produce my last documentary before graduation! This will help me to kick off my career and bring me one step closer to achieving my dreams of being a documentary producer.”
Congratulations to our winners and shout-outs to everyone living out their STEAM dreams – don’t let anyone stop you!
From everyone at 1,000 Dreams Fund and HARMAN: Thank you for participating in our 2018 New Face of Tech challenge!