Did you know that young people who had a mentor are 55% more likely to enroll in college and 130% more likely to hold leadership positions?*
Those kinds of statistics are one of the many reasons why we launched our MentorHER Initiative last year — to help connect the women (YOU!) we serve with well-paired mentors to help accelerate their growth and success in school and beyond. We also know that even a small amount of time can make a big difference.
Our MentorHER 2020 program, like last year, will provide a one-time, 60-minute mentor session to our mentees. However, the program will look a bit different. Instead of live events, all mentor sessions will be happening virtually due to COVID-19 restrictions. And we view that as a positive development because we’ll be able to serve more young women no matter where they’re located — even globally!
For our corporate and nonprofit partners, MentorHER provides their employees with an unmatched employee engagement opportunity that fits busy schedules and can serve as a pipeline opportunity to the talented women we serve.
And what is a second-year program launch without a bold goal? In honor of our name, our goal is to not only to continue to create an educational, inclusive, and inspiring experience for all participants, but to generate more than 1,000 hours of mentorship service from the launch date of October 11, on International Day of the Girl, through October 2021.
So, what exactly does participating in MentorHER look like?
- It will be a 60-minute virtual session with professionals from 1,000 Dreams Fund’s network via Google Meet.
- Matches will be made based on the aligned career interests and backgrounds of both the mentee and mentor as shared in the MentorHER application forms (available HERE), ensuring a high-impact session.
- Given our goal of achieving well-paired matches, matches will be made on a rolling basis, kicking off in October 2020 through October 2021. If a match has been made, you will receive a message from the 1DF team to schedule your video session.
- While not required, at the end of each session participants will be encouraged to exchange contact info — if they so desire — to continue building the relationship.
- Even though we aren’t kicking off the program until October, we encourage you to apply sooner rather than later.
Interested in being a MENTEE?
Who is invited to apply: We are seeking college and graduate-level students or recent grads nationwide. International students studying in the U.S. — even those who are based in their home countries due to COVID-19 — are also invited to participate.
If that applies to you and you’d like to be connected with a professional in your desired industry at a company you might want to work at someday, apply HERE!
Interested in being a MENTOR?
Dear Professional: We want to hear from you! We know you are busy, but we are only asking for one hour of your time. Help us change a life by clicking HERE to APPLY!
*Source: Mentor, The National Mentoring Partnership